ShakespeareZombie

ShakespeareZombie

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton


As I was reading Everneath, I pretty much figured out early on how it would end. When the expected ending came, I was thinking, "Woo! I'm right again. Can't get one past me!" Then the sobbing started. Because this book really did have an effect on me.

Nikki just came back after spending one hundred years in the Everneath. Now she has only six months before she will be taken back forever. The problem is that she disappeared without a trace. Her friends and family had no idea where she was for months. Now, Nikki has to find a way to make peace with them, and with the boy she loves, Jack.

If all that wasn't stressful enough, Nikki is being followed by Cole, the Everliving who took her to the Everneath. He wants her to return with him and make a power play so they become king and queen of the Everneath. Cole could have been cartoonish or unlikeable, but he was written very well. Jack was very sweet, but I really like a bad boy.

Sorry to write such a short review, but I'm afraid of giving away too much. Everneath reads like a modern myth, which was intentional as the book is a modern retelling of the Persephone myth. I enjoyed the narrative style, which has chapters showing current Nikki and then flashbacks to before she went underground. It makes you want to keep reading so you can find out what happened that made Nikki agree to go to the Everneath. Just be careful, because that ending creeps up on you.

I got my copy of Everneath from Netgalley. It's available for purchase now.

No comments:

Post a Comment