ShakespeareZombie

ShakespeareZombie

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bossypants by Tina Fey


I was so excited when I found out that Tina Fey was writing a book. Seriously, it was at the top of my list. It's just that stuff got in my way, and I couldn't get an advanced copy, and the ebook was kind of pricey, and I just never took the time to borrow a copy from work. So, a couple weeks ago (A month?) I reserved a copy at the library, and then let it sit around a couple more weeks until this past weekend I took the plunge and actually read it. I'm glad I did that instead of wait until it's due back, but try to keep it a few extra days to finally read it but then fail and rack up late charges. Not that this has ever happened to me before.

On to the book, it was everything I've come to expect and love in my memoirs. There's just something I love about reading the stories that actually happened by the people who lived them. Bossypants starts off with Ms. Fey's childhood and teenage years. I was pleasantly surprised to notice some memories shared with one Liz Lemon on 30 Rock. For the most part, her childhood was as nerdy as anyone might expect.

Later stories were about Fey's career. The stories about Saturday Night Live made me minorly jealous and wanting to work at a sketch comedy show. It was interesting how she doesn't really talk much about acting on SNL, just writing, and she doesn't consider herself very good at impressions. I also liked reading Fey's view of her run as Sarah Palin.

Tina Fey is a funny woman, and so easy to relate to. There are so many times when I would watch 30 Rock and think about how much I was like Liz Lemon, which isn't always a flattering thing. It's wonderful to read about the woman who created Liz Lemon and so many other characters.

P.S. Both Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling talk about what a fantastic person Amy Poehler is and I hope she's the next comedienne to write a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment