ShakespeareZombie

ShakespeareZombie

Friday, March 1, 2013

Pivot Point by Kasie West


Pivot Point was a unique story. If nothing else, I will say that the way the story tells is unlike any other book I've read. It's about a teenager named Addison. She lives in a compound where all the people have special abilities. Her ability is called Divergence. If she is facing a major decision, Addie can look into the future and live out the timeline for whichever decision she could possibly make.

The power comes in handy when her parents tell her that they are getting a divorce. Her father will be moving out of the Compound and living among normal people. Addie explores what would happen if she lives with her dad or with her mom. Each decision is told in alternating chapters. If she stayed with her mom, Addie catches the attention of the quarterback. With her dad, she becomes friends with a group of normal kids, including sensitive Trevor. The stories eventually start to overlap, with the characters appearing in both timelines.

I love the details about the Compound, and I really love having chapters switch off between timelines. I believe that this book will continue in a series. There are a lot of potential directions it could take, so that will be interesting to see. Personally, I didn't connect very deeply with the book, but I still enjoyed the story and originality behind it.

I received my copy of Pivot Point from Edelweiss, courtesy of Harperteen. It's available for purchase now.

No comments:

Post a Comment