ShakespeareZombie

ShakespeareZombie

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler


I love Daniel Handler as Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. I have a copy of his book Horseradish that I regularly pull off the shelf and look through. I read his book Basic Eight, and I'm going to admit that it creeped me out and therefore we won't be referring to that anymore. All these Daniel Handler-love credentials lead me to read his newest young adult novel, Why We Broke Up.

In the book, Mina is dropping off a box at her now ex-boyfriend Ed's house. The box contains the mementos that make up their relationship, mementos that Mina uses to tell their story. It's a story of stalking old movie stars and basketball games.

This book made me sad because, honestly I know how it ends. They're gonna break up. I liked Ed and Mina together. A lot of the stories made them seem really sweet. I could also see that they were very different people. It was too much contrast for them to stay together forever.

This book was a masterpiece, from the lovely writing to the brilliant illustrations. I loved the surprising heft that the book has as I carry it around. Recommended for the heartbroken, heart-mended, heartless, and everyone in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment