ShakespeareZombie

ShakespeareZombie

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Wasteland by Susan Kim and Laurence Klavan


I'm going to start out with the thing that bugs me the most about Wasteland. I don't care how special you think you are or how much you don't feel like working, Esther. Your sister slaves her days away, earns your food, and prepares your food. Yet for some reason, it's perfectly okay for you to just go off and play games all day? Um, no. Katniss Everdeen didn't head to the woods just to play four square or capture the flag with Gale, she hunted down food so her family wouldn't starve. Honestly, Esther, I'm glad that you were exiled, because you should have just done your job!

Wasteland takes place in some post-apocalyptic world, where shopping malls and houses stand in ruins, and food and water are scarce. In the story, Prin is a city full of children and teenagers. Nobody lives past the age of 19, so sixteen and seventeen year olds are considered over the hill. Everyone has a job to do in order to earn food and water rations from the Compound. (Everyone, that is, except the super special snowflake Esther, who prefers to play games with her Variant* friend.)

Levi is in charge of the Compound, but he knows that the food and water are running out. He wants to find a spring located under Prin, then buy the city from the people. After that, I'm not exactly sure what he'll do.

A new guy in town, Caleb, runs off some Variants for Prin. They think he's awesome, and he teaches them to fight a little. Caleb is looking for his baby, who was stolen after an attack by some Variants. Levi doesn't like Caleb and turns people against him. There's a war and stuff.

By now, all these dystopian and post-apocalyptic stories are kind of bleeding together. The more I write about it, the more I feel a great amount of dislike for Wasteland. I think it started from all that anger at Esther and just grew from there. I had high hopes, but alas I just did not like this book.

I received my copy of Wasteland from Edelweiss, courtesy of HarperTeen. It's available for purchase now.

*Variants are these savage people who are enemies of Prin. They're wild people or something?

No comments:

Post a Comment